Tuesday, September 4, 2012

A cerclage!?!?

I left work on Tuesday August 21 around 2:30 because my stomach was really hurting. The pain was much different than anything I have yet to experience during pregnancy. My stomach was tight (later found out that I was having little contractions) and I felt very crampy! It worried me enought that I followed my gut and  got checked out.

My regular doctor had just left so Dr Nichols saw me and ordered a sonogram just to be safe. She was totally shocked when the ultrasound tech confirmed my cervix was thinning and shortening!! I just know she thought I was some stupid first time pregnant woman who was paranoid about every little ache and pain! However, I had a serious problem! A shortening cervix is something that shouldnt happen until towards the end of your pregnancy.. 32 weeks plus! I was only 19 weeks so this was very scary news! My cervix was at a 2.3 and should be at least a 3..though a 4 is more average! With that, she sent me right over to labor and delivery where I would stay the next 2 and a half days!

I met with the high risk pregnancy doctor wednesday afternoon, Dr Perry. He was such a nice old man with a wonderful reputation! He did some tests and discovered my cervix had shortened more over night..I was now at a 2. Dr Perry recommended I have a cerclage, which is thick stiches put in the cervix to help hold the weight of the uterus. I listened to his advice and was scheduled for surgery at 3:30 the same day. My gut told me this is what needed to be done. My mother had 4 miscarriages before having my sister and I and without this very surgery, it is likely Natalie or myself wouldnt be here today! Zach and I didnt want to risk losing Finley if there was something that could be done!

I geared up for surgery. I wasnt nervous because I knew it was best for the baby. The anestheseologist gave me a spinal block.. which did not hurt AT ALL It was actually pretty cool! I couldnt feel a thing from my ribs down! My doctor came in and had my surgery done in 15 minutes! I was in and out in 30 minutes total! I was numb for about 3 hours.. I didnt care! I was starving from not being able to eat all day so Zach brought me Mcdonalds! After I got my cheeseburger, I passed smooth out. My doctor put me on strict bed rest for 2 weeks!

The idea of bed rest sounds awesome. BUT... actually being on bed rest sucks!!! I have never wanted to do laundry or dishes so bad in my entire life! Zach was a huge help! He waited on me and took care of my every need! Zachs grandparents sent a maid for us...Something I could really get used to! And then my sweet mom came for the week (hurricane Issac just happened to hit around the same time). She stocked my house with food and lots of deserts!!! I think she was trying to fatten me up!

My follow up appointment after the 2 weeks went great! I am now 21 weeks pregnant..as of yesterday and back at work!! I am on moderate bed rest.. I can work but still have to take it easy!  Finley had his big 20 week scan to check his developement and he is just perfect! all organs are right in place and the doctors say he looks great.. a bit on the big side, but great! At this point all that matters is him being healthy!



20 weeks 4 days and healthy!


No comments:

Post a Comment